How did the word appear?
Every object, action or phenomenon has its own name, but few people know where this name originated from. I wonder where did the words come from?
It is worth paying attention to the fact that quite often a certain generalized feature is decisive in the formation of the name. For example, speaking the word "contribution", we understand that we are talking about money, their savings and increase. But I would like to note that the appearance of a word does not always occur because of its main characteristic. Not always used sign can reflect the essence of the subject or action. An example is the phrase “nightingale trills”, which has an indirect meaning - not “nightingale singing”, but “beautiful singing”. And few people know that this name of the bird comes from its feathers, and not from its talent. In the ancient language, many words had the root "solv", which denoted the yellow-gray color. That is how the word "nightingale" was obtained.
How did the words
- So how did the words come about? Basically, new words arise as a reaction in response to the development of society, taking into account technical progress, historical as well as cultural development of mankind.Words can occur in completely different ways. For example, they can be borrowed from other languages (office, manager), words can be taken after using them in films or in literature (substance, entertaining). The origin of the words is sometimes quite difficult to learn. When a new word is found, it is entered into the dictionary. In order to get into the dictionary, the word must be quite often used.
- Speaking about how the word appeared, you should pay special attention to the fact that the appearance of new words is due to social as well as linguistic factors. Social factors include borrowing words, the appearance of jargons in connection with the development of technology and science, as well as changes in technical and social conditions of life. The linguistic reasons for the formation of words include the resulting gaps in the thematic series due to the lack of language means in the Russian language. This also includes borrowed expressive synonyms from foreign languages, the emergence of abbreviations, as the desire for language economy. Also, do not forget about the language mode, for example, prestige gave us the very "merchandisers", "top managers" and other words.
Types of words
New words can be divided into three groups.
- Neologisms - new words in content and form. Most of these words. They are first borrowed, that is, they do not have predecessors in the form of a word with the same root (espresso, trend, sponsor, designer, face pack).
- New growth - new words that were made up of individual words, elements that were used earlier, but in other combinations (teacher, bulbulator).
- Semantic are words in a new meaning. The process of change does not affect the structure of the word, we are talking about adding a new value to the word (for example, conversion is its first meaning, it is a transition to another faith; and the second is a transition to a different part of speech).