How to keep the petals of roses and other flowers?
Many petals of roses and other flowers decorate the room before a romantic evening. And some use them to make desserts. Anyway, the petals should be fresh, in this case they will retain the aroma and attractive appearance. Is it possible to somehow save them?
Choose the right flowers
The freshness and shelf life of the petals are directly dependent on the characteristics of the flowers themselves. A few important points:
- It should be purchased or cut in the garden only young flowers with barely blossoming buds. If the flower is fully opened, it is unlikely to be able to save its petals.
- Pay attention to the surface of the petals. It should not be any stains, damage and other defects. It should be smooth, smooth and homogeneous.
- Examine the section of the stem. It should be diagonal, it will increase the area of water absorption, improve nutrition and prolong shelf life.
- If you cut flowers in your garden, do it in the morning, long before the onset of heat.But do not cut them right after the rain, they need to dry up a little.
Selection and procurement
Not all petals will be stored for a long time. Choose only the youngest, preferably not external, but internal. The surface should be uniform in color and not damaged.
Tear off the petals should be very careful not to damage and crush them. After collecting, lay them on a flat surface and dry well. To speed up this process, you can decompose the petals on a paper napkin or a piece of cloth.
How to store?
How to keep petals from roses and other flowers fresh? There are several interesting ways:
- You can store the petals in cold water. Pour it into any fairly wide container and place the petals there. Store the container in a cold place, for example, in the cellar, on the balcony (during the cold season), in the basement or in the refrigerator.
- Take a cardboard box, make holes in it and place the petals inside, placing them in an even layer. Put the box in the refrigerator.
- Prepare a cloth or gauze, a sealed food plastic container (preferably flat and wide) and water. Wrap the cloth several times and moisten it with plenty of water (it should be very moist, but water should not drip from it).Lay the material on the bottom of the container and place petals on the top with one layer. If you need to keep a large number of petals, then lay them and wet cloth layers. But in this case it is better to use gauze rolled up several times, this will ensure air circulation and avoid the formation of mold. Close the container tightly with a lid, send it to the fridge. Moisture will provide food, and the cold will extend the shelf life. And so that the petals do not rot, you should every two days remove the container from the refrigerator and shake it. This method will keep freshness for 7-10 days.
- To save the petals and apply them as a natural flavor, you can use salt. Prepare any glass container that can be closed with a lid (a regular jar will do). At the bottom pour salt evenly, then lay the petals. Now pour the salt again. Lay the petals layer by layer, sprinkling them with salt to fill the entire jar. After a week you can enjoy the scent. And if you manage to put the petals carefully, they will retain their original appearance.
- There is another not quite normal way.You will need wax. Melt it in a water bath and gently dip a petal in it. Use tweezers to hold it in place. Do this with all the petals and place them on a flat surface covered with baking paper, cling film or polyethylene. When the wax dries, the petals can be used. They will retain their appearance, but it will not be possible to feel their fragrance after such a procedure.
- You can prepare a special solution for storage. In one liter of boiled water at room temperature, dissolve two or three tablespoons of granulated sugar, as well as half a cup of citric, boric, or salicylic acid. Immerse the petals in liquid and remove the container in a cool place. The components used will function as preservatives and help preserve the freshness of the petals.
Let the petals long delight you with freshness and beauty!