How to make jam?
Jam is a jelly-like mass, which contains whole berries, fruits and their pieces boiled in syrup. You can make jam simply and quickly. We will tell you how to make apple and plum jam.
Before you make jam, you need to figure out what berries and fruits you are dealing with. For jam most suitable fruits that contain a lot of pectin. Some fruits have little pectin, but this can be corrected by adding the juice of apples, gooseberries, red or black currants, or quince when cooking in jam. In case you do not have any of these ingredients, you can add gelling powder.
General rules for making jam
- Do not use overripe or spoiled berries. The best for this are those fruits that have dense flesh.
- Carefully ensure that the berries are boiled, not only inside but also at the edges.
- Depending on the berries and fruits that you decide to use for making jam, it will depend on how much you have to cook.
- To find out about the jam, you can put a teaspoon on a plate. If the jam is covered with film - it is ready.You can also check readiness by taking a spoon and dipping it in jam. If it does not drip, but flows down in a trickle, then the jam is ready.
Apple Jam Recipe
Since the apple contains a large amount of pectin, additionally gelling jam does not make sense. This makes cooking easier.
You will need:
- 1 kilogram of sugar;
- 0.5 glass of water;
- 1 kilo of apples;
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon;
- juice of one lemon;
- ginger (to taste).
- Pour sugar into water and boil until syrup is cooked.
- Prepare the fruit: peel the apples from the core and grate them on a coarse grater. Leave the skin or not - you decide.
- Add grated apples to the syrup and cook until smooth for 50 minutes.
- Add cinnamon, grated ginger and lemon juice. Stir well and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Now check the readiness and arrange the jam in jars.
Plum Jam Recipe
Plum jam cooking is simple. Thanks to its thick consistency, the result is that jam can be used for baking.
You will need:
- 1 kilogram of plums;
- 600-700 grams of sugar.
- Wash plums, cut them into two parts, remove the stones.
- Using a blender, chop the plums, turning them into puree.
- Pour the plum puree into a prepared pan for cooking, add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Put the pot on medium heat and simmer for 40 minutes, removing the foam from time to time.
- The jam should be thick. Its final color, like taste, will depend on the variety of plums.
In the case when you know that for jam you have very sweet plums, the amount of sugar can be reduced. Conversely, if the plums were sour, you can increase the amount of sugar to a kilogram.
To make jam easier than ever, the most important thing in this business is fantasy! Add oranges and even more cinnamon to apple jam, and blackberry can also be added to raspberry jam.