The secrets of cooking classic forshmak
If you like herring, then for sure you will like such a dish as forshmak. But to enjoy his taste, find out how to cook it properly.
What is this dish?
Forshmak is an appetizer made from minced herring or meat with the addition of potatoes, onions, pepper, sour cream and some other ingredients and is usually baked in the oven.
It should be noted that the snack in question is found in many national cuisines, but has some differences. Thus, in the Swedish forshmak traditionally served hot, and Jewish culinary traditions suggest the use of herring as the main ingredient, the meat is not added, and the dish is served cold, that is, not baked.
In addition to the main component, which is often herring (and usually not of the best quality, historically), other types of beef, mutton, chicken, sometimes trimming from a hot dish, mushrooms,different kinds of fish (usually salted), potatoes, cottage cheese, cabbage, apples, sour cream, tomatoes, milk, turnip and so on. Ingredients are mixed and either served cold or baked.
How to cook?
How to cook classic Forshmak? There are a lot of options, as you have already understood, and it is not easy to isolate the traditional one; therefore, several of the most popular recipes are discussed below.
Forshmak with herring
For many the most popular and favorite is forshmak from herring. To make it you will need:
- one large salted herring or two small ones;
- four eggs;
- 100 grams of butter;
- one head of onions;
- a glass of milk;
- two small sour apples.
Description of the cooking process:
- Herring must be cut by removing all the entrails and bones. Next, soak it in milk so that it acquires a more delicate taste and becomes not so salty (milk also eliminates the specific smell).
- Eggs need to be hard boiled and cleaned. Peel apples from the peel, cut into slices. From the bow, too, remove the husk, cut the head into several pieces.
- Next, go to the grinding. You can carry it out using a meat grinder: pass herring, onions, boiled eggs and apples through it. But you can use blender for such purposes.
- Soften the butter, put it into the mixture and either stir it vigorously or whisk using a mixer.
From capelin and rice
To prepare forschmack with capelin and rice you will need:
- 300-400 grams of capelin (preferably choose a spicy salting fish, then the taste will be more spicy);
- a quarter of a glass of rice;
- onion head;
- a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- Dill to taste.
- Cut off the capelin, remove the ridges, heads and tails (if the fish are small, you can leave the bone).
- Cook rice in 2/3 cup of water.
- Onion should be cleaned and cut into several pieces.
- Next, in a meat grinder or blender, chop the capelin with rice, greens and onions, then add the butter and whisk everything or just stir.
A delicious forshmak with potatoes and herring combines both the main course and a side dish, which is a very satisfying snack. And to cook it, you will need:
- four potatoes;
- 100 ml of milk;
- quarter of a loaf;
- onion head;
- two tablespoons of 9% apple cider vinegar;
- three eggs;
- tablespoon mustard;
- bunch of green onions;
- two medium sized salted herrings;
- about 50 ml of vegetable oil;
- one apple;
- greens to taste.
Description of preparation:
- Take care of preparing all the necessary ingredients. Boil the potatoes and peel them. Eggs should be boiled hard, remove the shell. Completely remove herring, remove skin, remove ridges with bones. From the apple you need to remove the skin, then cut it into several pieces. Peel the onion.
- Pour the milk into the bowl and soak herring and broken loaf in it for an hour.
- Next, grind with a blender or grinder herring, apples, onions, long loaf, potatoes, green onions and greens. In the finished homogeneous mixture, enter the bite and mustard, chop it again or just beat it with a mixer.
With cottage cheese
If you decide to prepare an interesting snack, then use this option. List of required ingredients:
- fillets of one large salted herring;
- 300 or 400 grams of cottage cheese;
- half a glass of sour cream;
- three bunches of green onions;
- one or two teaspoons of sugar (if desired, you can not add it);
- half a teaspoon of salt (if the herring is salty, you can do without this component);
- a small piece of hard cheese (about 30 grams).
- Herring needs to be stoned and skinned, cut and cut into pieces of any size.
- Cut the onions with a knife, after washing and drying.
- Next, go to the grinding. Mince herring with cottage cheese through a meat grinder. If the first time you have not achieved the desired homogeneous consistency, repeat the procedure.
- Next, in the mixture, enter the sour cream, sugar, chopped onion and salt, mix everything thoroughly or whisk using a blender.
- Lay the forshmak in a dish or arrange in portions and garnish with hard cheese and grated.
A few tips for the hostess:
- You can serve forshmak as on slices of rye bread, and in portions or in a common dish. Any side dish will be combined with it, for example, mashed potatoes.
- Forshmak can be used as a filling for pancakes.
- To taste herring clearly felt in the appetizer, the fish can not be crushed along with the other components, and finely chopped with a knife. And if you want forshmak to be more dense and textured, finely chop all the ingredients, this may change the taste, but it will not spoil.
- You should not store the finished dish, it is better to immediately submit it and eat.
- Soaking herring in milk is not necessary, it is required only if it is very salty.Soaking can also be done in ordinary clean water.
- Do not be afraid to experiment and introduce new ingredients into the dish, because every housewife should have her own special recipe.
- Forshmak can be decorated with portions of greenery, spread out in portions. You can also form any figures from it, this will make the table setting more original, and the dish itself will be festive and interesting.
- Try baking a snack in the oven and serve it hot.
If you have never tried and cooked forschmak, then choose one of the recipes of this snack and use it to surprise yourself, relatives or guests.