What are the scales?
Scales - a device designed to determine the mass of various substances and bodies. In everyday life, each of us is often faced with the task of determining the mass of an object, be it products or your own weight. In this article we will understand what the scales are according to the principle of operation, accuracy and other characteristics. We will also give the criteria for selecting weights that will help you purchase the most suitable device.
By the principle of their action, all scales are divided into 5 groups:
- Lever. Their principle of operation is based on the mechanism of the lever, and the measurement of mass is made by the method of comparison with the reference weight.
- Spring. They measure the mass according to the degree of stretching of the spring.
- Strain gauge. Their action is based on the transformation of the strain gauge strain.
- Hydrostatic scales are designed to measure the density of liquids. They act on the principle of the power of Archimedes.
By scope, all scales are divided into many groups in accordance with GOST 29329-92, we will not dwell separately on them.The scales are also divided into electromechanical and mechanical, with automatic, semi-automatic and non-automatic balancing, with an analog or discrete reading device. Laboratory scales have 3 accuracy classes: medium, high and special.
Consider the main types of scales, which are widely used in the modern world.
Scales for weighing
Virtually every home has such a device designed to measure its own weight. Consider how to choose among a large variety of floor weights those that are most suitable for you.
Mechanical floor scales belonging to the spring group are distinguished by durability and low price. Also their important advantage - non-volatility, using such scales, you do not have to spend money on batteries. However, they have a rather significant drawback - measurement error. With a weighing range of 1-250 kg, the weighing error will be 100-500 g. In addition, before each weighing, they must be set to “0”. If you decide to buy mechanical scales, then be sure to look at the upper weighing limit, especially if someone from your loved ones weighs more than 100 kg.
Electronic scales, of course, much more accurate than mechanical, but for their work requires a power source: battery, battery or socket. In stores you can find a great variety of electronic scales of the most different price category, equipped with many different functions. Let's see what's what, and consider the main types of electronic scales.
Simple models of plastic with auto-off function will cost you nothing expensive. And if the budget for the purchase is not limited, then look at the scales with a platform made of metal, heavy-duty glass, wood or stone and additional functions, the list of which is given below.
- Several measuring sensors that increase the weighing accuracy
- Clock and thermometer
- Sound effects
- Anti-slip feet
- Overload indication
- Save the last measurement result
- Memorizing weight dynamics for several people (2-10)
- Calculation of ideal body weight
- Calculation of the mass of muscle, fat, bone tissue, and the amount of water in the body
- Choice of units
- PC integration via USB cable for downloading and printing data
- Optional removable monitor
Scales for weighing products are also mechanical and electronic. In addition, there are very cheap bezmen intended for weighing products in packages. But if this is not enough for you, then take a look at electronic kitchen scales, which measure the mass with an accuracy of a fraction of a gram and are equipped with additional useful functions, including:
- Determination of calorie weighed product
- Auto power off
- Overload indication
- Clock, alarm clock, thermometer and air humidity sensor
And many more
The main criteria when choosing a kitchen scale are the maximum limit and measurement error. The usual limit of weighing ranges from 2 to 5 kg, and the error from 0.1 to 1 g. Also pay attention to the presence of a removable bowl, which allows you to conveniently weigh bulk products, as well as easy to maintain.
Kitchen scales are made of metal and plastic, and bowls are made of glass or plastic. It is better to choose a stronger metal body and a bowl of impact-resistant glass, as it is more durable and practical in care.
So, we considered the question of what scales are, and also found out how to be guided when choosing household scales. Have a nice shopping!