What do mice eat?
Despite the fact that mice are able to eat many foods that are consumed and people, not all of them are useful for these tiny rodents. Therefore, to maintain the health of pets, they need to be fed correctly.
The acquisition of ready-made mixtures for feeding domestic mice is the simplest and correct solution to the problem. Moreover, experts advise to give preference to imported products, citing the fact that domestic feed:
- consist of cheaper components (for example, oats), coarse grass granules - mice do not like them;
- include dyes that are harmful to animals;
- often universal - for mice and rats. This is wrong, as the methods of making rations for these animals are very different from each other;
- often contain a lot of seeds, peanuts - products that provoke obesity.
In the mixtures of production in Europe in this regard, things are much better. One of the most popular brands are Vitakraft (Germany) and Versele-Laga (Belgium).
Feeding mice at home
In nature, mice feed mostly on seeds, to which animal food is sometimes added. And therefore, at home, they need to provide a certain nature ration.
- Cereals are the first thing that mice eat. Give crumbs wheat grain, oats, barley.
- Seeds - no more than 2-3 pieces. in a day.
- Protein products. The mice will benefit from a small amount of boiled or raw quail eggs, boiled (without salt) chicken, peeled boiled shrimps (no more than 1 time per week, without spices), gammarus (dried freshwater crustaceans, which can be found in fish feed).
- Vegetables. Especially useful carrots. But you can also give zucchini, cucumbers, sweet peppers, cauliflower and Jerusalem artichoke, pumpkin.
- Fruits (sometimes as a treat). Apples, pears, apricots and peaches, melons, grapes, bananas will do. From berries you can give currants, strawberries, strawberries.
- Nuts Hazelnuts, walnuts, peanuts (no more than 1 nut per day).
- Greens (in small quantities). Parsley, salad, cilantro.
- Bread (preferably black). It can be given, but very rarely.
- Cheese. His mice are very fond of, but this product is harmful for them (provokes obesity, negatively affects the liver).And because it can be offered to pets only as a rare delicacy.
- Water. It should always be freely available, in the right quantity (at least 25 grams per day), clean, fresh.
In addition, the mice need to give branches - they will help gryzknam grinding teeth. It is better to choose the branches of mountain ash, apple, hazel or willow. The branches of coniferous trees (fir, pine) are also a source of vitamin C.
In the matter of choosing vitamins, you need to rely on qualified professional mixes, since you cannot choose everything you need for your pet and in the right amount.
Amount of food
Regarding the size of the portions, it is reasonable to calculate the amount of food based on the weight of the animal. For a mouse, one portion should be at least 1/5 of its weight. Rodent metabolism is excellent, and therefore they can afford to eat a lot.
What can not feed domestic mice?
Completely exclude from the diet of mice the following food:
- feed for other animals (cats, dogs, birds);
- milk (in most adults it does not digest and provokes diarrhea);
- white cabbage;
- citrus and exotic fruits.