What is a salon?
February 24, 2015
The word "salon" comes from the French "salon", which means "room, living room". However, this is not the only meaning. Let's see what a salon is in every sense of a given word.
Salon: word meanings
- Perhaps, most often the word "salon" today we hear in the phrase "salon-shop." It sounds quite beautiful, but it means only that the store has only one hall.
- Salon also called companies that specialize in the service sector, for example, "Hair Salon".
- Salon is also called a club of like-minded people who regularly gather in a private or rented house. Often, to the word "salon" in this case some explanation is added, according to which it becomes clear what the circle of interests of the salon is, for example, "Literary salon". Although today this value is considered obsolete.
- Another quite common meaning of the word "salon" is the interior of a car or other vehicle - a bus, a plane, etc.
- Salon is also called the premises defined under the holding of any exhibitions, expositions and social events.
- There is also an outdated meaning of the word "salon" - a room for receiving guests. In this sense, the word "salon" is often found in classical literature, for example, "Anna Pavlovna Scherer Salon" ("War and Peace").