What is toxoplasmosis?
In the world there are so many different diseases. Some of them are very dangerous, and others less dangerous, but very unpleasant. In addition, many diseases are fairly common throughout the world and they are sick every year a huge number of people. These diseases include toxoplasmosis, which affects about 65% of the world's population. This indicator is especially high in Asia and Africa. However, most people have never even heard this term and do not know what toxoplasmosis is, how they get infected, what symptoms they have and how they are treated.
Next we look at all these important issues.
Toxoplasmosis and its causes
Toxoplasmosis is a disease that is associated with parasites called Toxoplasma gondii. Toxoplasma gondii - this is the simplest class of disputes. This disease affects both people and animals. There are a lot of people in the world infected with these parasites.
Toxoplasmosis affects the nervous system, eyes, skeletal muscles, heart muscles. The disease also increases the lymph nodes, liver and spleen.The disease is chronic in nature and may not manifest itself for years.
Infected with toxoplasmosis in several ways:
- Through food, when people eat meat, eggs and other products without sufficient and high-quality heat treatment.
- When a pathogen enters the damaged skin from the outside world.
- Vector carriers can also be domestic and wild animals.
- Toxoplasmosis can also be infected by organ transplantation or blood transfusion, if the parasites are in them. However, this is extremely rare.
- Parasites can be transmitted during pregnancy from mother to child, however, often in this case the fetus dies due to serious violations or the child is born with many defects in development.
Toxoplasmosis may not manifest for a long time. Very rarely there are cases when toxoplasmosis has an acute form and a severe course of the disease.
If symptoms appear, they appear as follows:
- There is a slight indisposition, muscle and joint pain for several weeks or even months.
- With acute illness, chills, fever, swollen lymph nodes, rash appear.
- It is also possible damage to various organs, the nervous system, impaired coordination, irritability, memory impairment.
- Possible periods of acute form and remission.
Let's take a closer look at how toxoplasmosis is diagnosed and treated.
Diagnosis and treatment of toxoplasmosis
Toxoplasmosis is diagnosed by determining various body parameters and tests. Doctors in the diagnosis often ask questions about lifestyle, pets and eating habits. Toxoplasmosis is very difficult to determine due to the often absent symptoms. In order for sure to establish this parasitic disease, it is necessary to conduct a series of complex laboratory tests.
In this case, the laboratory uses two methods for determining the disease:
- With the help of bioassays. They take smears of the affected organs, however, this method is very difficult due to the fact that parasites can rarely be found in the blood and spinal fluid.
- Immunological methods, which include several methods including the subcutaneous test.
If the disease has been successfully identified, then a special treatment with antibiotics, vitamins and other drugs is used, however, this treatment does not help very well in chronic toxoplasmosis. Often carry out treatment in cycles of 2-3 weeks.
For the prevention of the disease, it is recommended to heat the products with high quality, wash hands thoroughly before preparing and eating food, observe hygiene when keeping pets and undergo tests for the presence of the disease.